As luck would have it…..

I think that I must have been born late…..maybe even a month late because I always feel as if I’m trying to catch up.  This leaves me a little scatterbrained and distracted.  Not to mention, I’m always running just a little bit late.

This morning was no exception.  I was due at work at 9:30 for a telecon to help an experiment team with their procedures.  Much to my dismay, I was running late.  I called the lead person to request we start just a little bit later – maybe 9:45.  He was very gracious about it and an updated time was settled upon.

So now I get to work and I’m already behind.  I got my sonic ice, my laptop, a few bags and hurried upstairs.  We talked for a couple of hours going through a matrix and when it was over, I thought it would be a good time to hand deliver Kaileigh’s volleyball registration to UAH.  I went to grab my phone but couldn’t find it – I figured I must have left it in the car.

I drove the 8 miles to UAH, drove another 3 miles to mail a future registration and then drove about 8.5 miles back to work.  There wasn’t much time left in my day – Kaileigh and Lucy had music at 4:00.  R calls right before 3:00 which again, put me a little behind.  No blame being assigned here – I could have cut the call shorter but didn’t do so.

I hurried over the mountain to the house to pick up the girls and Keegan.  I had Kaileigh call my phone so that perhaps I could hear it ringing and find it more easily that way.  None of us heard the phone.  By this time I’m racking my brains trying to remember where the phone might be.  I emptied out any bags I used with no luck.  I’m on call for work this weekend and I knew that I must have that phone.  The trip home and back to AB Stephens added about 29 more miles.

I dropped the girls off and went to vacuum out the car and get fuel.  At the gas station I looked under the seats and on the floor of the car.  Still no luck.  Kaileigh had left me her phone so before I left the gas station, I decided to call my phone and let Keegan look in the back.  This time I faintly heard “Tainted Love”, my current ringtone.  I was thrilled – this was the first indication the phone was in my car!  Wa-hoo!!!

The sound was obviously coming from far away so Keegan looked in the back.  He looked in all of the bags, including some bags I hadn’t opened in weeks.  Since he was having trouble finding the phone, I got out to help him.  As soon as I opened the door, the melody of the ring tone got much louder.  It sounded like it was right there!  I put my hand on the roof and patted around up there.  After ~50 miles of driving, I was amazed to find my cell phone sitting sturdily right on top of my car – right where I left it this morning when I got out of the car to go into work.  I felt like one of the luckiest people on the planet.  I don’t know what caused the phone to remain in place on top of the car as I drove anywhere between 35 and 70 miles per hour on my various errands.  But I won’t question my good fortune – Lady Luck was smiling down upon me today…..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s